Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Magazines

We were shopping recently when I made some offhanded gripe. It was probably more like a Gripe with a capital G. Drew replied, "Mom, you're like a magazine. You have issues!"

HUH? I have issues? OK. Yeah. Well, the kid has a point. To wit: ironed pillowcases. Need I say more?

"Issues, huh? Back issues, or am I currently in circulation?" Wait. Do I smell bloggable conversation in the air? Roger that. Ooo, goody! The emote-o-meter moves from gripey to impish faster than a new B-mer on the autobahn.

Drew was lost in thought to the count of three Mississippi and then said, "You're currently in circulation with maybe, oh, 40 years of back issues."

"Thanks, dude." Punch in the arm. "So what magazine am I? National Geographic with lovely images and insightful, educational articles?"

"Nope." Drat. I was hoping for something brilliantly photographic with smart writing.

"Real Simple?"

"Ha. There's nothing simple about you, Mom." He's got a point.

"Martha Stewart? Better Homes and Gardens? National Enquirer?"

"Definitely not!" We're both giggling.

"Then what magazine am I?"

We laughed over the ridiculous possibilities for a while -- Country Living, Oprah, Playboy, Runner's World, Car & Driver, InStyle, Boy's Life. How funny that Drew is a no brainer with Scientific American. I, however, need a lifetime subscription to ProfessionalFrustratedDecoratorEasyCookingCrafterPaperfreakHome-ShoppingSingleMom for Dummies, pink edition.

For back issues, please contact me @ the email address previously provided. Leave a message after the beep.

No comments: