Wednesday, July 27, 2011

vacation

Vacation
All I ever wanted
Vacation
Had to get away
Vacation
Meant to be spent alone

With a nod to the Go-Gos and a new bottle of sunscreen in my bag, I headed off Sunday afternoon for a quick getaway. The tunes were turned up, the gas tank full, and reservations made. Arrival was only a few hours later, and departure followed a brief 48 hours after that. Even though it was a quick trip in the grand scheme of Vacations, it was a few days of bliss. After all, I had to get away.

Better yet: I HAD to get away. Alone.

(Trust me. My family and my staff and colleagues will thank me for this later. They just might not know it yet.)


The ultimate destination was Cape May, New Jersey. I opted to travel the scenic route across the Eastern Shore, through Delaware, and then take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry across the Delaware Bay. Being on the Ferry was a gamble for Vertigo Girl but as long as the water was calm I figured things would be good.



Good news! The crossing was easy and the vertigo only kicked in while the boat was in the middle of the channel.  *Happy dances!*  Unfortunately it was a very hazy day so the pictures didn't turn out very well, but you get the idea. You're smart like that. 





The hotel du jour was the Wilbraham Mansion. This is a B&B that actually felt like a hotel -- comfy bed, private bathroom, jacuzzi, pool, individual temperature controls, off-street parking, elevator, privacy (except at breakfast), and a separate guest entrance. Stay here! 





These are just a few of the painted lady photos. Again, the overcast and humid days didn't do much for my attempts at photography. Or the vibrancy of the house colors. And they were definitely ViBrAnT!


This might be my favorite picture from the trip. I got more of the lighthouse, though:




(I obviously like the tall things on the right side of the photo. LOL!)

And did you notice the clouds cleared up a bit?! 
Goodbye, clouds and hello, sunscreen! 




The beach was delightful. There weren't too many people hanging out by the lighthouse so it was much quieter than downtown. Parking there was free, too! (A good thing since I used all my quarters the day before.) 


Speaking of using quarters ... this sign was outside of a local lingerie shop in the pedestrian mall area. (Where I had to use several quarters to park.) Someone has a really good sense of humor! 

Looking at downtown Cape May from the beach at night. Yes, my toes were really in the ice-water-called-ocean when this photo was snapped. I had just come from dinner at Martini Beach (it's the middle building in the picture) and needed a walk on the beach after stuffing myself with tapas and martinis: Oysters Rockefeller, seared black and white scallops, stir fried sugar snap peas, and a delectable summertini. If you are ever in Cape May be sure to check it out. YUMmyville! 


All too soon it was time to board the Ferry and start heading west. I stayed on the rail for as long as possible, going inside when the boat would sway just a little bit, and then coming back out to watch the docking in Delaware.  

The trip was capped off with a stop at .... drum roll, please .... 


SONIC! Three cheers for cherry limeade and tater tots! (I really hope my doctor isn't reading this....)

These are just some of the photos from the trip. It was great to get away and relax, explore the hamlet, and enjoy the beach. And I didn't even get too sunburned! 

No comments: