Monday, October 13, 2008

Chicks with brains

Remember Turkey the Younger's comment about nerds last week? That non-nerds will bring him down in nerddom? Well, I let some time pass and then just to be certain I was understanding the Pecking Order of Nerds I broached the subject of girls. Do female friends get held to the same standards? Can a girl be "hot" AND a nerd? Is it possible to date a girl from outside nerddom? Or does a "hot" girl also drop you down a peg? Does the "hotness" scale trump the nerd scale? What are the DQ's with girls? I obviously had a lot of questions, but the answer was singular:

"Well, she has to have brains."

Right on! My inward excitement starts to build. There might actually be a teenage boy who looks to brains before beauty. Then it hits ...

"Like I need to be able to discuss quantum or theoretical physics with her. She has to be able to keep up. The nerd part is optional."

Gulp. Did he just imply that girls weren't as smart because they had to "keep up?" I can't discuss quantum physics so does that mean he's moving out? Inward excitement has officially deflated. I still don't know if "hot" trumps nerd, but I DO know it's time to brush up on quantum physics.

No comments: